|Relatives||Konzen Douji - Nephew|
|Manga Debut||Sai. Vol 1, ch. 00|
Sai. Gaiden Vol 1, intro
|Anime Debut||Saiyuki Ep. 02|
Saiyuki Gaiden OVA Ep. 1
|Seiyuu||Watanabe Misa (渡辺 美佐)|
Igarashi Rei (五十嵐 麗)
(in Sai R., Sai R Gun., & Sai. Gaiden))
|English||Karen Coffer (in Saiyuki)|
Shawn Taylor (Sai. Ep. 07 , 20-21)
Melodee M. Spevack (in Sai R. & Sai R Gun.)
Shelley Calene-Black (in Sai. Gaiden)
|Skills||Replacing Goku's Diadem
Replacing Blood Loss
Anime and Manga DifferenceEdit
- Kanzeon Bosatsu is portrayed as a hemaphrodite in the manga and Saiyuki Gaiden OVA, but in the anime season 1, 2 & 3, she's portrayed as a woman. This portrayal correlates to the Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, who, depending on the region, is seen as a man or woman. In the East, Avalokitesvara is primarily portrayed as a woman.
- Kanzeon Bosatsu showed herself to the Sanzo party a lot of times in the anime including Kibou no Zaika, but in the manga, she only showed herself once.
to be updated
- In the fist episode of Saiyuki, Goku is seen in a tree eating peaches and being scolded by monks. The tree is somewhere in the center of the Keiun Temple compound. The monks mention that the peach tree is an offering to the Merciful Goddess.
- She is based off of Guanyin, the great merciful Bodhisattva who is tasked with recruiting the four main characters of Journey to the West and overseeing their journey herself. She carries gold bands with her, one later used for the Monkey King Sun Wukong to ensure his obedience.
- In Saiyuki Gaiden: Koubana no Shou, Kanzeon Bosatsu found Goku's drawing of him with Tenpou, Konzen and Kenren under the cherry blossoms. The drawing was later shown framed in her office.
- It seems Kanzeon Bosatsu only smokes cigarettes once in a blue moon, as witnessed in the last part of Saiyuki Gaiden.
- At first Goku called Kanzeon ‘Aunty’, but Kanzeon tickled him so much he had difficulty breathing. That became a small trauma of Goku’s, and ever time since he would run away from Kanzeon when he saw her.
- Kanzeon Bosatsu both likes both men and women since she is the symbol of "mercy and compassion".
- Kanzeon Bosatsu used to play tricks to Konzen Douji like putting makeup and even changed his hairstyle.